Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Statins (OT)

"bm" wrote in message
eb.com...

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nightjar
writes
On 03/05/2013 21:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
There was a lot of interest last time this was aired but I was left
with
a few unanswered questions...

How significant is the fat in processed Pork slices as I find it a
very
convenient source of sandwich filling?

How linear is the response to dose levels? A recent test found 4.2
total
(2.4 LDL) for a dose of 20mg. Pre-statins, I had levels of 6.8 and 7.2
total. I would like to drop the dose to 10mg.

If you are on Simvastatin, you could request a change to Atorvastatin,
which should be as effective at half the dose.

Yes. BTDT:-)

The current 20mg Atorvastatin would conveniently halve to 10 though.

It's still one tablet per dose of a convenient size for swallowing. The
fact that there is only half the amount of active ingredient is balanced
by the fact that the ingredient is roughly twice as effective per
milligramme.

The reaction to statin doses doesn't seem to be linear, either, with a
noticeable threshold in my case, at least. Half the normal dose does
nothing, the full dose brings on all the side effects and no apparent
benefits, with every statin and Fibrate I've tried. I didn't dare try a
larger dose.

I can't say that I've noticed any side-effects,

I know I didn’t.

maybe I should quit for a while and see.

I could do that because my cholesterol levels were always
low. The current protocol suggest that there are benefits from
even lower tho, that’s why the cardiologist put me on it with the
other stuff that’s the standard post heart attack/stent protocol here.