John Moorhead

Default building a base for my dad's lathe

Folks -

I've been working on a mobile base for my dad's Homecraft Delta Milwaukee
Rockwell 36" lathe, circa 1950ish. The headstock has indexing, which is a
nice feature.... My dad used it in patternmaking for microfilm camera
bodies.
I turned his cremation urn on it.

I'm going to clean the lathe up and polish the ways, but I am not going to
repaint it or anything. The bearings all still feel smooth and have oil
cups for lubrication. My dad had it set up with a 4 speed jackshaft and a
1/3 hp motor. I'll keep the motor for now and then bump up to something a
*little* larger.

Pop had the lathe mounted to a bench with the motor and jackshaft behind the
headstock. I don't have the luxury of that kind of room, so I am mounting
the powertrain more or less vertically. Getting everything set so that the
belts all tighten on rotation is taking some doing, but hasn't produced much
scrapwood...

I am going to set the lathe base up with casters for moving, other than that
it sits flat on a base. I'll set the tailstock column up as storage for
tools and may mount a disc on the outboard end of the headstock for a
*******ized version of "scary sharp" touch up for chisels.

Pics to follow you know where.

John Moorhead