Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Daily Mail Eco ******** - "Big brother to switch off yourfridge"

On 30/04/2013 15:17, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 06:40:01 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

I don't think any Smart Meter installations have the ability to
selectively cut the power to appliances. Whole supply maybe but not
just the Fridge.

The ones being installed now are not smart meters at all. They just
get called that because it sounds sexy and ignorant journos are
involved.

Whilst I'm inclined to believe the latter part I don't think the first is
quite right. Agreed the early "smart meters" may have been not much more
than a meter with built in energy monitor but I think the ones going in
now are the proper "smart" ones with remote reading that doesn't require
visit or even a van driving down the street polling the meters.

Years ago I read a Phd student's work on powerline communication and
IIRC the first electricity meter to provide remote reading did so over
the supply lines - in 1890 !!!!

SteveW