Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Milling Machine 30 taper conversion?

"Pete C." wrote in message

- The actuator mounting will lift from it's non-contact idle position
when actuated so it is in contact with a flange at the top of the
spindle while pushing down on the drawbar. This is so no toolchange
force is applied to the spindle bearings which could damage them.

Not in my experience, although a quill-type spindle cartridge does need to
have a means of positively locking it in the full up position.

- The actuator travel is such that the drawbar will apply a push to the
toolholder at the end of the stroke to pop free a sticking toolholder.

Hammering on the top of a conventional drawbar is the usual method, which
doesn't seem to damage spindle bearings so far as I've been able to
ascertain.