Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Milling Machine 30 taper conversion?

On 06/05/13 07:04, RogerN wrote:
My home shop CNC mill is a Bridgeport with an Anilam Crusader II controller.
Last time I switched it on, the controller didn't power up. I've been
wanting to do the LinuxCNC upgrade on it anyway and this looks like a good
time to do it. LinuxCNC will give me greater capabilities with the machine
than the original control was capable of.

... So I'm considering automatic tool changing but I would need to convert
my Erickson QC30 spindle to a pull-stud drawbar. Looking at the tapers, the
CAT 30 or BT 30 should fit but be shorter than the QC 30, leaving me room to
make a pull stud drawbar. Something like:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ible-mac_p.jpg

At first I plan to just set the tooling up on the table, something like
this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYj_HVDn08Y

Anyone here know of anything like an Erickson QC 30 to pull stud drawbar
conversion? Or a drawing of the inside of the Erickson spindle?

RogerN

Not an Erickson spindle but here is a power drawbar drawing for a
Denford Triac CNC mill www.denfordata.com/bb/download/file.php?id=897 .
Actually the tool holder is held in by the disc spring stack and either
hydraulic or air used to push the pull stud holder out. IIRC the tool
holder used is BT30.