Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default PT pine shrinkage versus smooth sided cedar?

"AngryOldWhiteGuy"
writes:

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote
in message ...

I used hand-picked 5\4 x 6 PT pine decking to resurface my deck . . . I
found that I should have bought 16' lengths versus trying to save a few

I'm the OP.

I had eliminated the composite stuff because I read a lot of reviews
complaining of mold that would keep coming back, even after repeated
bleaching. I also read about other problems like flaking - for the price,
I'd expect zero maintenance.

Maybe I should reconsider the composite - does anyone know what that
composite is that they use for the beach benches in Florida - seems like if
it'd last there, it'd be OK anywhere.

Suggestions??

Mold? No more than any other material. Since there's nothing for mold
to feed on, I'd say less mold. Not that mold on a deck should be an
issue. I guess it depends on the amount of light you get.

Flaking? Never heard of it, and I haven't seen it in the 13 years my
deck has been in place.

Other than cleaning, (if you feel the need), there is no maintenance.

Reminds me, Sandy broke one of my deck boards.
I need to replace one.

Other than breakage, it looks to me like the deck will easily outlast
me and I've still got a few years to go.

--
Dan Espen