Andrew Gabriel

Default Replacement for Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles ?

In article ,
"Andrew Mawson" writes:
I am having to remove a perfectly good ceiling of polystyrene ceiling tiles
in a flat as they are not allowed nowadays for let properties.

Presumably the previous owner put them up to cover a less than perfect
ceiling (though maybe not as they are of a nice sculpted design and
actually don't look too bad)

Taking them down will at the least make a mess where the glue is - so is
there a modern replacement tile that could be stuck up where they were but
is not inflamable ?

What about having it reskimmed?

I put up polystyrene ceiling tiles in a room in my parents' house in
early 1970's. This was done because the room was cold, not because of
any damage to ceiling. Room was part of a single floor extension and
the only insulation was foil backed plasterboard, and the outer
strawboard surface. When my parents had it redecorated, the decorator
tried taking a tile down, but as they had been put up properly by me
(fully glued, not just 4 dabs), he said it would be cheaper to take
the ceiling down, which also enabled proper insulation to be put in
above it. In a DIY situation where time isn't money, you might be
able to clean up the existing ceiling enough to just have it reskimmed.

--
Andrew Gabriel