Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_7_] Carl Ijames[_7_] is offline

Default Hinge receiver repair by welding?

I'm sure your welding will be at least as hard and strong as the original.
I think MIG will localize the heat better since you can weld for a second at
a time with cooldown in between, and thus damage less of the original
plating. Acetylene welding or brazing will heat up the entire piece.
Wrapping with wet rags would help, too. The plating looks silver in color
so I'm thinking it is possibly chrome plated (but not polished, so less
likely) or a chromate conversion coating on top of electroplated zinc, which
means don't breathe the fumes. If it is gold or yellow colored (I can't be
positive from the pics) it is most likely a dichromate conversion coating on
top of electroplated zinc, so again, don't breathe the fumes. You probably
want to grind/file off the plating in the spots you will be welding on so
the zinc doesn't interfere with the welding.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

https://plus.google.com/photos/11010...CKTEiNy-2YCkMw

The above are two photos of an 'hinge receiver' for a KitchenAid wall oven.
The oven door does not close completely since the hinge parts are kind of
loosey-goosey. Problem can be remedied by removing and replacing door, but,
after about 3-4 openings the door dislocates again.

The hinge parts (not in pictures), with springs etc. are available all over
the place. The receiver, which is attached to the oven frame, is not even
listed in the parts lists and thus seems un-available.

I thought I would try to recondition it by adding a weld bead to the ends of
the slot, and then file it back into a rectangular and slightly smaller
shape. While I do have MIG, I am more comfortable with acetylene and would
prefer that.

I need opinions on whether I am wasting my time, i.e. is my weldment going
to be so soft that the part will wear out rather quickly. Will I be
overheating this part and doing more harm than good?

The receiver attaches to the bottom left and right corners of part 14
(Frame-Frnt) in the diagram link below. In said exploded view it should
have shown up directly behind said 'Frame-Front'. This model oven
KEBS107DWH7 is made by Whirlpool and seems identical to Maytag and Kenmore.

http://www.partselect.com/Models/KEB...pe=Oven&Mark=3

All comments appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary