Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Cedar 4x4 Posts in NoVA/DC Area

On 5/4/13 10:42 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

An old saying: Place a rock at the bottom of your post hole and when
the rock rots away, it's time to replace your (Locust) post.

The rock concept is true. It allows the post to ride above the wet - or
simply not sit in the mud.

It was a joke, not advice.
And the rock would work until the first rain.

Water doesn't rot wood.
Water carries tiny critters that eat the wood, and it feeds bigger
critters that eat wood. That's what rots wood.

It doesn't matter if it's sitting on or in water. If the bugs like to
eat it, they will, water or not. If the bugs don't like to eat it, it
won't rot.

If water rotted wood, there wouldn't be a single lake dock in Minnesota.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)