Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Hinge receiver repair by welding?

https://plus.google.com/photos/11010...CKTEiNy-2YCkMw

The above are two photos of an 'hinge receiver' for a KitchenAid wall oven. The oven door does not close completely since the hinge parts are kind of loosey-goosey. Problem can be remedied by removing and replacing door, but, after about 3-4 openings the door dislocates again.

The hinge parts (not in pictures), with springs etc. are available all over the place. The receiver, which is attached to the oven frame, is not even listed in the parts lists and thus seems un-available.

I thought I would try to recondition it by adding a weld bead to the ends of the slot, and then file it back into a rectangular and slightly smaller shape. While I do have MIG, I am more comfortable with acetylene and would prefer that.

I need opinions on whether I am wasting my time, i.e. is my weldment going to be so soft that the part will wear out rather quickly. Will I be overheating this part and doing more harm than good?

The receiver attaches to the bottom left and right corners of part 14 (Frame-Frnt) in the diagram link below. In said exploded view it should have shown up directly behind said 'Frame-Front'. This model oven KEBS107DWH7 is made by Whirlpool and seems identical to Maytag and Kenmore.

http://www.partselect.com/Models/KEB...pe=Oven&Mark=3

All comments appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary