Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar 4x4 Posts in NoVA/DC Area

Redwood / Cedar - it all depends on the oil.

I used to live in a Coastal Redwood wood forest. I have plenty here
in East Texas from my old forest area. Termites like Redwood.

They can't eat into the bark but if the tree is felled and cut - they
enter the center core - it is white - and eat a hole down the trunk.

This used to help various groups make Pipes for water and sewer. Bugs
get the hole started then you ream the hole larger.

Check up on Yellow Wood - trade name for treated. I seem to recall it
is safe to eat on an such. Check before you buy. Might be ok to touch
and insert hand into mouth but not grow. They should have a web page.

Martin

On 5/4/2013 7:11 AM, Jamie Jackson wrote:
On Friday, May 3, 2013 9:02:13 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/3/13 7:10 PM, G. Ross wrote:

The only ones I've seen lately are mail box posts. Assuming you mean

eastern red cedar. An Anecdote: 20 years ago I built a double gate

with a short cedar post for them to shut against. The short post stuck

up about 4 inches. A couple of years later it got wobbly so I dug it

up. It was eaten up by termites. Something I thought could not

happen. That was in north eastern Texas.

That's something to keep in mind. Cedar is supposed to be bug resistant,

but here in TN, I've replaced a lot of cedar decking and stairs that

were swiss cheesed by termites.

Maybe I'll look at redwood, depending how $ it is.