Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Cedar 4x4 Posts in NoVA/DC Area

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

"Jamie Jackson" wrote:

I'd like to build some raised vegetable garden beds this weekend. (This
is the design I have in mind:
http://www.sunset.com/garden/perfect...0400000039550/)

SFWIW, I did this back in the 70's using reclaimed railroad ties.

Haven't seen them in almost 25 years, but back then (late 80's), they
still looked like they did when they were installed.

This was commonly done around here too. I recall that when old railroads
tracks were removed from defunct lines in this area that ties were readily
available to the public. Times have changed! They are maybe OK for
ornamental planting beds but not for vegetables... and possibly banned for
such use depending upon the state in question. The EPA identifies Creosote
as a possible/probable (I've seen it expressed both ways) human carcinogen
and it "has no registered residential uses." As of 1/1/2008 New York bans
repurposing creosote treated industrial products (e.g., telephone poles,
rail road ties) for residential purposes. All that said, I recall slopping
creosote on logs from 1 gallon cans purchased at a local store when I was a
kid...

I looked into this recently as I'm involved in building a new rail trail on
a corridor that hasn't been used in about 35 years. The corridor still has
rails and ties along most of its length. The rails, plates, spikes, etc.
will be sold for scrap or "banked" for possible future use but the ties need
to be disposed of as hazardous waste... most are not suitable for reuse by a
working railroad.

John