Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp without crimp tool ?

On Sat, 04 May 2013 10:06:45 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

To be honest, I've always considered crimping to be a fast,
semi-skilled process - an inferior substitute for proper
termination/jointing, whether on 16mm wire ends or BNC plugs.

That gets my vote as the worst informed quote of the month.

+1

I suspect Frank has only ever come across crimps not done with the
corrcet tool for the crimp in use on stuff that the crimp wasn't designed
for.

A correctly sized crimp done with the correct tool to the right pressure
produces a gas tight cold weld. Very reliable, doesn't creep or vibrate
loose. I guess this is why avionics uses crimps...

--
Cheers
Dave.