Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cedar 4x4 Posts in NoVA/DC Area

On Fri, 03 May 2013 20:02:13 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 5/3/13 7:10 PM, G. Ross wrote:
The only ones I've seen lately are mail box posts. Assuming you mean
eastern red cedar. An Anecdote: 20 years ago I built a double gate
with a short cedar post for them to shut against. The short post stuck
up about 4 inches. A couple of years later it got wobbly so I dug it
up. It was eaten up by termites. Something I thought could not
happen. That was in north eastern Texas.

That's something to keep in mind. Cedar is supposed to be bug resistant,
but here in TN, I've replaced a lot of cedar decking and stairs that
were swiss cheesed by termites.

I had/have a lot of cedar on my AL house. Carpenter bees love the
stuff.