Posted to rec.woodworking
Jamie Jackson Jamie Jackson is offline

Default Cedar 4x4 Posts in NoVA/DC Area

On Friday, May 3, 2013 7:55:43 PM UTC-4, John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Jamie Jackson" wrote in message

Hi Folks,

I'd like to build some raised vegetable garden beds this weekend. (This is

the design I have in mind:

http://www.sunset.com/garden/perfect...0400000039550/)

Lowe's in Chantilly seems to have cedar 2x6s, but not cedar 4x4s. (The guy

I got on the phone at Lowe's recommended Douglas Fir, but I know that's

going to rot too fast in the ground.) Where can I find cedar 4x4s

(preferably, on a weekend)?

You might try a fencing store or garden center that sells fencing. Cedar

posts are often used in fencing... Then again, for what the 4x4s are doing

you could use cedar 2x4s singly or doubled up. Failing the stores having

cedar 2x4s, a cedar 2x6 would work.

Not sure how the "graphic" will hold up through the web/rec, but lapped like

this is all you need--the 2X4 is in the inside corner.

| |

| |

| |

| |

_ ___| |

Good leads on the posts, and a good point about lapping that way, thanks!