Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default seeing eye dog for old techs

On Wed, 01 May 2013 11:48:18 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

And just so you understand, even _I_ could solder that down with an
iron; it's got big leads and wide spacing.

I still wouldn't know if I'd kept it inside the maximum thermal profile;
even with a temperature-controlled iron.

And I wouldn't have any way to determine after-the-fact whether or not
it was still in specifications -- only if it functioned. I don't own a
gauss meter capable of measuring the flux inside a 1mm square patch
accurately.

And neither do you. I say that, not because I know what tools you have,
but because that's a pretty 'exotic' instrument even for a good lab, and
because you suggested that anything could be done with an iron or a heat
gun... that pretty well describes your equipment list. Why not a MAPP
torch? Wouldn't that be faster?

And you still avoided the matter that this is about protyping, not
building up 'kit' boards (even if you made 'em yourself).

Well, I'm sorry that you're offended. I was just making a suggestion,
and as such I was expecting you only take it if it made sense.

http://www.wescottdesign.com