Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC Doors Won't Lock In Sunshine

In article ,
Mrs Bonk writes:
I have French doors and get the same. I work afternoons and dare not
open the doors in the morning as the sun hits them then I can't lock the
door to go to work.
On mine it is the bolt on the one door hitting the lock hole in the
central bit. I removed the offending brass section housing the "hole"
I still have two working bolts ( this probably voids my insurance)
I have the same on the back door this time I had to remove two brass
housing strips ( dunno the correct name) I fitted two other security
bolts instead. I did intend to replace everything but moving it about
eighth of an inch however, did one which worked, then when the door
cools- it doesn't bolt lol. I did file one down and that worked but
couldn't file enough of the other one.

Check to see if the door has dropped by measuring the two diagonals
top to bottom corners. They should measure the same, and if they
don't, the door has dropped due to incorrectly fitting the glass
and/or panels in it, without healing/toeing them. Very common,
because the fitters often don't understand the process, and it takes
a while to fail after they've gone.
(Can also do the same check on the frame opening to make sure it's
square too.)

--
Andrew Gabriel