Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Daily Mail Eco ******** - "Big brother to switch off yourfridge"

The way it goes is this. You start your powerstation and then when its
in phase with the grid, you connect it. At this point if you pull torque
off it. it will be a motor driven BY the grid, and as you increase
torque on it, it will start to phase lead the grid slightly and push
power onto it. You can control the voltage using the exciters - you
match that to the grid voltage.

OK, I think I get it. It's being a small fixed amount ahead of the grid
phase that means you are pushing power in. If you shove less steam into
the turbine you'll lead by less, and be putting less current in even
though your RMS voltage is the same.

But no-one answered my question - what has overall control of the grid
frequency? Some guy with a meter and a phone, calling the CCGT stations?

Andy