View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Raised panels with a straight bit? Yep!

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:29:36 AM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Any one see any potential problems in using a solid carbide upcut bit for this? The stress will be only on one side of the bit at a time. My thinking is that this is fine.

Seems like a great idea and should be fine as long as you don't mash it. I've only broken spiral bits when hitting them with interrupted cuts or other jostling type situation. They hold up well under consistent stress.

I assume you will use us a multiple pass scenario if using a hardwood not pine. Does your jig\fence accommodate the concept of multiple settings. Typically on a flat fence you setup for the final cut then add shims to the face that can be removed as you do sequential passes.

Yes multiple passes (1/8" or increments or so -give or take). No shims but I keep a stop behind the fence. I'm using an old contractor saw as my router table so I use the existing miter tracks to hold adjustable stops.

Seems to have worked great. I plan on posting a video of the process for making raised panels and splined miter joints tomorrow. I'll probably post a link here tomorrow so I can get the rec feedback.

I'm not sure how often I'd use this method but it is pretty cool. The TS would definitely be faster. Might be a good idea to use both a TS to cut off the bulk and follow up with the router for the finish pass.

Cheers!