Posted to rec.woodworking
CW[_8_] CW[_8_] is offline

Default Pocket Hole Screws

"RonB" wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:25:05 AM UTC-5, RP wrote:
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

On 4/23/2013 8:55 PM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:

Have been much less than impressed with the "new and improved" shiny

plated Kreg screws. Looking for a source for the good old bronze
screws

that didn't cam out or twist off. Suggestions?

I have not noticed, that I recall, an increase in breakage of the new

ones over the old however the shiny ones remind me of the cheaply made

ones, purchased 10 at a time for 79 cents, in a plastic pouch.

Typically local lumber yards and or McFeeleys still have the unplated

versions.

I have driven probably 3000 of the new plated screws and I haven't noticed
any issues at all. Maybe you fellas are getting a bad batch. I don't drive
the beejesus out of them either. I snug them up until the part is good and
secure and they work fine. I don't use an impact driver either. Probably
90% of the screws get driven with a 12v drill/driver.

RP

I usually ease in with a regular 14v drill. Never an impact wrench.

I did send a message from the Kreg site and got a quick response offering a
replacement box of screws. I sent a backup message telling them that the
problem screws were part of an order of 1,250 screws (1,000ct + 250ct to get
over Amazon free shipping limit). I am not really expecting free boxes of
screws; just wondering whey the changed from a tried-and-true product to the
new ones.
Cheaper.