Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Fixing Headphones

On 5/2/2013 3:44 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"mike" wrote in message ...

On 5/2/2013 3:10 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"mike" wrote in message ...

On 5/1/2013 3:31 PM, wrote:
I have a couple of headphones that have stopped producing sound on one
side and I wanted to try fixing them.

I know it will involve locating where the break is, as well as
soldering but I was looking for pointers because I've never done this
before.

I assume that the problem is either at the location where the plug
inserts or more likely where the leads enter near the ear pieces.

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I use a time domain reflectometer. Can usually get you close enough to
tell
where to cut/splice.

Oh really.

And how is this going to help the OP?

Gareth.

I gave two valid ways to accomplish the task: "it will involve locating
where the break is,"

At last count, that's two more than you.

Your move...

OK, take a read of what you wrote:

I use a time domain reflectometer. Can usually get you close enough to tell
where to cut/splice.

If you have a C-meter with sub-picofarad resolution, you can
sometimes estimate the distance to the break.

Do you seriously think you are helping the OP, or are instead just
blowing your own trumpet?

Bearing in mind, of course, that the OP is just a bloke off the street
who happens to have a pair of broken headphones, and probably doesn't
happen to possess a sophisticated set of test equipment, or the
knowledge to carry out the tasks you are suggesting he ought to.

Get a grip, ffs.

Gareth.

By my count, despite all your bluster, it's still 2-0.
If you have a better idea, spill it.