Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fixing Headphones

wrote:
I have a couple of headphones that have stopped producing sound on one side and I wanted to try fixing them.

I know it will involve locating where the break is, as well as soldering but I was looking for pointers because I've never done this before.

I assume that the problem is either at the location where the plug inserts or more likely where the leads enter near the ear pieces.

Any advice from anyone who has done this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

you could turn this into a big task, but start easy.

chop off the damn plug. replace it with a new one. that will fix
headphones 99% of the time.

keep the old plug around to trace out what wires to attach to which
channel.

use lots of heatshrink on your new plug as a strain relief.