Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC Doors Won't Lock In Sunshine

In article ,
"Tinkerer" writes:
We have a pair of UPVC doors on our porch. One is only opened when
required for large items to be taken into the house and it carries the
frame into which the "everyday" door locks.

We have found that the locking mechanism for the "everyday" door works
fine until the sunshine arrives. In the afternoon sun it presumably
gets very hot and the handle will only lift just over half the normal
distance which is not sufficient to allow the key to be turned although
I do not think the problem is the handle as it operates fine when the
door is open. Once the sun is off it the locks work fine again but
that is no use if you need to lock up during the afternoon.

I can't imagine that we are the only people to have experienced this
problem. I assume that the door is expanding/bending in the heat and
some adjustment is required. Problem is that I cannot identify which
part of the umpteen part locking system is jamming. I was wondering
if anyone else had experienced the same problem, or is familiar with
this type of door, and could suggest how to find where it lies.

Well, it could be loads of things.
First, can you lift the handle and lock it with it open, i.e. is
it the locking mechamism which is faulty, or does this only happen
when you close it first and try locking it?

--
Andrew Gabriel