Posted to alt.electronics
Major Scott Major Scott is offline

Default 90V AC on hard disk?!?

On Thu, 02 May 2013 00:48:23 +0100, Rheilly Phoull wrote:

On 02/05/13 05:46, Major Scott wrote:
On Wed, 01 May 2013 22:38:58 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

"Major Scott" wrote in message
news On Wed, 01 May 2013 15:59:33 +0100, David Moorman

wrote:

In article , "Major Scott"
wrote:

Something is effed up.

It works though.

I've had a similar voltage out of the composite output of a VCR. That's
the trouble with these double insulated things that aren't earthed.

Any double insulated SMPSU has filter caps from each mains pole to the
equipment 'ground' - they form a capacitive voltage divider (Xc + Xc).

That sounds rather strange to me. Especially where delicate electronics
are involved. Imagine I connected the USB hard disk, while it was
powered up, to the computer, and the USB plug's grounded chassis managed
to touch one of the signal contacts.

Could be time to try another PSU ??

If Ian is correct it won't help. I'd have to find one in my huge box of them with the right output then change the plug. I'll just be careful with it.

--
New here? Pull up a chair and we'll plug you in.