Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Overuse of machine tools?

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
.com...

I mean, really, who sets out to build wobbly crap? Either you don't
know any better or you just don't care.

To expand upon this a bit. I think there is also a resource component to
these decisions... Generally, people would like book shelves made of the
most suitable materials with proven construction methods. However, the
reality is many lack deep enough pockets to make it happen... The
competing agendas of satisfying the needs for food, shelter, clothing,
transportation, education and entertainment command a higher weight in
the allocation of their finite financial resources than do book shelves.
In those cases a complete Ikea or Saunder unit, that may cost in total
as much as one nice cherry board, becomes the choice by economic
necessity. Here it's a case of satisficing versus optimizing and it can
still be considered a rational decision.

I will have to disagree a little bit again. From repeated first hand
experience with customers, people generally would not know suitable
materials and proven construction methods if they knocked them upside
their heads. They still pay way too much for crap, I mean pretty to
look at but don't move it. As an example if you Google Amish furniture
store and go to one of those stores I believe you will find top quality
furniture that beats the pants off the pricing you would find most any
where else. I mentioned to Lee that I recently bought 6 Amish made
dining room chairs. They were $250 each. Not cheap but they come with
a life time warranty that I will probably never need and were very
competitively priced with much less quality name brand stuff.
When I was quoted the price for all 6 chairs I did not hesitate to
accept. That price above included delivery.

For twice this price, you would get it at an Amish Furniture store and
never have to worry about replacing. And again the Amish is delivered
assembled, this set is neither.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69917334/

I know, twice as much but the much better choice.