Posted to rec.woodworking
RP[_3_] RP[_3_] is offline

Default Pocket Hole Screws

On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 9:22:33 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/23/2013 8:55 PM, Bruce Kaatz wrote:

Have been much less than impressed with the "new and improved" shiny

plated Kreg screws. Looking for a source for the good old bronze screws

that didn't cam out or twist off. Suggestions?

I have not noticed, that I recall, an increase in breakage of the new

ones over the old however the shiny ones remind me of the cheaply made

ones, purchased 10 at a time for 79 cents, in a plastic pouch.

Typically local lumber yards and or McFeeleys still have the unplated

versions.

I have driven probably 3000 of the new plated screws and I haven't noticed any issues at all. Maybe you fellas are getting a bad batch. I don't drive the beejesus out of them either. I snug them up until the part is good and secure and they work fine. I don't use an impact driver either. Probably 90% of the screws get driven with a 12v drill/driver.

RP