Mark & Juanita

Default Refuge - Thoughts On Being In The Shop This Evening

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:55:15 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

So often in the past I have come out here with a hand full of lists
and a head full of plans - trying to fill the 'unforgiving minute'
with more than its alloted sixty seconds.

.... regretfully, and respectfully snipped
how it played on the waters of the creek behind the shop.

I felt my shoulders drop below the level of my ears, for the first
time this day.

I was thinking to myself - this is what the shop feels like to a man
who does his woodworking for the simple joy of it.

I liked that feeling.

Regards,

Tom.

Tom, you need to submit short bits like this to the woodworking
magazines. That was very well stated, you captured the essence of the shop
for those of us who do this as a hobby. It is a place and a chance to
create something substantial and useful, yet without (most of the time) an
imposed or arbitrary deadline and without the dependence upon others to
provide inputs or products at exactly the right time.

The sun on the waters for me last Saturday was watching a family of quail
foraging in the desert behind the shop. The youngsters were about 6 inches
tall. Fun stuff.