Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default OT - Daily Mail Eco ******** - "Big brother to switch off yourfridge"

On 01/05/2013 09:52, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:

If each appliance is fitted with a "smart device", then no changes are
needed to the home wiring.
I would have thought is better to have "essential" and
"non-essential" circuits in every house.

I honestly can't see that for the mark space ratio that a fridge
compressor on a decent fridge-freezer runs at it is even worth the
bother. An electric immersion heater that was on a smart meter to use
nigh time energy might make a little bit more sense.

Given the propensity of certain washing machines to catch fire I am not
sure I would ever want to let mine run overnight anyway.

And you think the teenagers are going to remember which socket to plug
something in to? Or the average person, come to that.

You think anyone is going to convert their existing house to that - put
all your furniture in storage, move out, have all the walls bashed
around to have a second set of cabling installed, replaster, complete
redecoration, move back in.

Dream on.

You missed the bit where they ruin the existing ring main or a hidden
water pipe by accidentally drilling into it somewhere along the line.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown