Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Kaatz[_2_] Bruce Kaatz[_2_] is offline

Default Pocket Hole Screws

RonB wrote in
:

I am surprised Kreg said that because the new ones are very different.
I have probably driven 1,500 of the original screws in both fine and
coarse thread over the past 5-6 years. I never broke one or stripped
a head; and I had very few with defective square-drive recesses (five
or six at most). In addition to pocket holes I use quite a few for
general utility screws.

I am about 100 into a box of 1,000 of the new screws and I have
stripped a couple of the new heads and popped the heads off of a
couple. They are different.

RonB

I agree totally. The new ones tend to cam out very easily. Of the
1000's of the "bronze" screws I driven, I've never snapped a screw or
popped a head. The zinc ones are different. I wish I could have seen
my face when the very first zinc screw I drove snapped off in a red oak
face frame - same drill, same settings as the old screws. After the
scond broken screw on the same face frame, the zinc ones went into the
trash.
And yes, the old bronze ones used to make a great utility screw.
Bruce