Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default seeing eye dog for old techs

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:51802306$0
:

We don't (yet) pay others to solder the chips onto the prototype

adapter
boards. Also some folks do the PCB milling rapid prototyping and don't
use adapter boards.

I see... I suggest you try that with 0.5mm pitch (on-center) TSOPs, and
see how it works.

Yea, I have, yea, it's a pain. http://wpnet.us/SMT.jpg

Mill-prototyping on FR-4 breaks down around 30 mils o/c. The runs start
lifting, because the epoxy isn't strong enough to support the lateral
forces of the milling.

(I do that, too. 'have the CAD. 'have the CAM. 'have the mill. 'have
small-tipped carbide Vee cutters.)

It's apparent that you're "aware that people do it", but never have.

'least, that is the way I see it.

I haven't tried the PCB milling yet, since I haven't done a lot of
electronics projects of late. The last one I looked at I was just going
to farm out to a PCB house for prototype boards, but that project didn't
go through.