Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default OT - Daily Mail Eco ******** - "Big brother to switch off your fridge"

On 30 Apr, 15:17, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 06:40:01 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:
I don't think any Smart Meter installations have the ability to
selectively cut the power to appliances. Whole supply maybe but not
just the Fridge.

The ones being installed now are not smart meters at all. They just
get called that because it sounds sexy and ignorant journos are
involved.

Whilst I'm inclined to believe the latter part I don't think the first is
quite right. Agreed the early "smart meters" may have been not much more
than a meter with built in energy monitor but I think the ones going in
now are the proper "smart" ones with remote reading that doesn't require
visit or even a van driving down the street polling the meters.

Even that is not sufficient. A real smart meter is one which is
integrated into a smart grid network and takes part in grid balancing
by dynamically switching loads, so called "demand side management".

Try http://www.altera.co.uk/literature/w...rid-design.pdf

MBQ