Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good bang/buck cordless drill?

On 4/29/2013 6:47 PM, nestork wrote:

(PeteCresswell);3055123 Wrote:

I went with Home Depot's "Ryobi" homeowner's house brand. I started
thinking I should have gone with DeWalt - or at least with the HD
commercial house brand ("Rigid"?).

"House Brands" are brand names that are particular to one chain store,
like Sears "Craftsman" tools or Sears "Kenmore" appliances, or Lowes
"American Tradition" paint. Neither Ryobi nor DeWalt nor Ridgid are
house brands of any hardware store chain. They're all successful
companies in their own right.

There was a time when both Black & Decker and Skil made top quality
power tools. But, management over at Black & Decker decided there was
more money to be made by expanding into housewares and lawn & garden
equipment, and so they devoted fewer company resources to making quality
tools and more to making toaster ovens and electric lawn mowers. When
Black & Decker did want to regain it's reputation as a maker of quality
tools about 20 years ago, they started a new company (called DeWalt)
under which they would make and market tools aimed at the contractor and
serious DIY'er market. Black & Decker still makes power tools, but
they're aimed at the homeowner market, where the tool is going to be
used only a few times a year when the homeowner decides to install a new
curtain rod or mail box. Their DeWalt brand remains focused on the
contractor and serious DIY'er market where the tool needs to be more
robust to provide good service on a daily basis for years on end.

My Black & Decker 12volt industrial cordless drill bought from WW
Grainger in 1993 is identical to the DeWalt 12 volt drill now in
production or recently produced. I believe that was before the divisions
of the company switched markets. Oh yea, the hard plastic
carrying case is identical except for the color and name. ^_^

TDD