Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill 1/16th inch hole through 8mm stainless steel rod?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:23:31 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 4/29/2013 5:04 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 04:49:58 -0500,
wrote:

On 4/29/2013 1:47 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:53:48 -0500,

fired this volley in
m:

Probably would hurt to have several bits handy...
You probably gonna break a couple on this job.

This is not a job for a hand drill.

It's not so much the problem of holding the bit straight, but rather one
of regulating the pressure and cut per tooth... which is difficult to do
by hand with that small a bit and that material (although he didn't say
_what_ stainless..)

Even one of those $29.95 "drill press stands" improves your likelihood of
success, where the speed of feed must be controlled carefully.

As said before -- never let off on the pressure, except by rapidly
retracting the bit. Never allow it to 'idle' on the bottom of the cut,
or you'll work-harden the steel. Prick-punching will also work-harden
it. That might not be a problem with a 1/4" bit, but with a 1/16" drill,
you be hardening almost the entire cutting footprint of the drill.

LLoyd

I've done this kind of drilling before and nearly always break a bit -
when breaking through the bottom side.

What did I do wrong?

You havent done enough of it to learn "feel". Thats all.

I didn't have enough drill bits for that lesson.

There is that too. Shrug

If you listen/feel carefuly..you will notice a change in
sound/vibration just before breakthrough...99.9% of the time.

Tune yourself for that "change" and at that point...back off a smidge

Ive hand drilled so many holes over the years with a drill motor..that
its become automatic for me. Tune your brain for it..and you will very
seldom ever break a bit. That and keeping the drill/motor in line.

It even works in wood.

Gunner

Oh, I know what you mean, Gunner.
And with larger bits I can do just that.

But a 1/16" diameter bit through stainless tube?
No, it just happens to quick.
I guess it's because the flutes are so tiny?

Actually...you just havent developed "the touch" well enough.

Seriously.

Gunner