Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Drill 1/16th inch hole through 8mm stainless steel rod?

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Stormin Mormon"

Too much feed pressure. When you're almost
through, use very, very light feed pressure.

If he's drilling #304, that's an invitation to smoke the bit --
without breaking it. As soon as it starts to "skate" under
light pressure, it'll work-harden the metal, dull the cutter,
and end up making lots of smoke and noise; and go nowhere.

That sounds almost as fun as metal splinters.

So much for my idea of upgrading my inline skating grocery cart
with a stainless steel axle. After watching some videos on Youtube
of smoke (while using a lubricant) coming out of the stainless
steel, I just put the old steel axle back in place. I needed to
upgrade the wheels, add some stuff, and clean it anyway.

--
Thanks to the replies.

And it likely will ruin the hole so you can't get anything else
through it except carbide.

LLoyd