Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Pourable Mold Material

mike wrote:
On 4/29/2013 6:19 PM, gregz wrote:
wrote:
What material can I pour into a 1" x 1" x 1" mold (a cube without a lid) that
will solidify into a rubber-type consistency? I need to make a part for a
microphone that has not been manufactured in 50 years. It would be best if the
material did not harden like acrylic. However, I'd use that as a last resort if
I knew where to get it.

I've never done this sort of thing, so I have no idea what material to try to
find or where to search for it. Since I only need a small amount, a suggestion
for a material that is only available from a wholesale-only industrial supply
house would be hard to follow.

Is there some sort of silicone that meets this requirement? Is there such a
thing as liquid rubber? Here's hoping!

I use to use silastic products, but costly.

You might try dynaflex 230 into a cube if silicone rtv does not work. I
don't know how 230 will set up in a cube, worth a try. Heat it up for a
couple days. Rtv should also set up with heat and time. It used to be easy
to buy the runny stuff for windshields, but I have not seen it lately.

Greg

Does it have to be all rubber?
Can you mold most of it out of Sculpy and use sheet rubber for the springy
part?

There's stuff called "Great Stuff" that's used for plugging up
air infiltration in buildings.

The cheap stuff gets pretty hard. The more expensive version
stays spongy.
Can get it at Home Depot.
Don't know if it has the mechanical strength for your application.

The water based stuff is pretty spongy and porus.

Greg