View Single Post
  #18   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by (PeteCresswell) View Post
I went with Home Depot's "Ryobi" homeowner's house brand. I started thinking I should have gone with DeWalt - or at least with the HD commercial house brand ("Rigid"?).
"House Brands" are brand names that are particular to one chain store, like Sears "Craftsman" tools or Sears "Kenmore" appliances, or Lowes "American Tradition" paint. Neither Ryobi nor DeWalt nor Ridgid are house brands of any hardware store chain. They're all successful companies in their own right.

There was a time when both Black & Decker and Skil made top quality power tools. But, management over at Black & Decker decided there was more money to be made by expanding into housewares and lawn & garden equipment, and so they devoted fewer company resources to making quality tools and more to making toaster ovens and electric lawn mowers. When Black & Decker did want to regain it's reputation as a maker of quality tools about 20 years ago, they started a new company (called DeWalt) under which they would make and market tools aimed at the contractor and serious DIY'er market. Black & Decker still makes power tools, but they're aimed at the homeowner market, where the tool is going to be used only a few times a year when the homeowner decides to install a new curtain rod or mail box. Their DeWalt brand remains focused on the contractor and serious DIY'er market where the tool needs to be more robust to provide good service on a daily basis for years on end.