John Grossbohlin

Default oak table restoration refinishing

I've been rebuilding a old solid red oak table that was in terrible
condition. All the hide glue joints had failed so that rather than have a
top I had ten bowed, warped and twisted boards. Even the laminated legs had
to be glued back together. I also had to make some new parts to replace
those missing or broken in the extension-leave sub-structure. Anyhow, I'm at
the point where it's time to sand, this after using scrapers to remove what
remained of the finish. It has become painfully obvious that if I sand it
enough to remove all the finish from the pores that the table will shrink!

I'm not sure what the original finish was as it was in terrible condition.
However, from what I can tell, the table's defects were filled with
Plaster-of-Paris and then the whole table stained and a fairly thick finish
applied--varnish?? Clearly a stain will be needed to even out the color as
there were water and sun damaged areas and filler was needed to repair
damage.

The books I have on finishing deal with new work. I'm not sure what I can
use for the stain and finish given the fact that old finish will remain in
the pores. Suggestions?

I posted a picture of the table in it's original state on ABPW under the
subject "oak table restoration refinishing" so you can get an idea of just
how bad things were. When it's done I'll post a before and after set of
pictures.

Thanks,

John