Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Pourable Mold Material

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:15:16 -0400, mcp6453 wrote:

What material can I pour into a 1" x 1" x 1" mold (a cube without a lid) that
will solidify into a rubber-type consistency? I need to make a part for a
microphone that has not been manufactured in 50 years. It would be best if the
material did not harden like acrylic. However, I'd use that as a last resort if
I knew where to get it.

I've never done this sort of thing, so I have no idea what material to try to
find or where to search for it. Since I only need a small amount, a suggestion
for a material that is only available from a wholesale-only industrial supply
house would be hard to follow.

Is there some sort of silicone that meets this requirement? Is there such a
thing as liquid rubber? Here's hoping!

I think silicone caulk would do it in about 3 days. [for about $5]

G-flex epoxy would give you more of a polyethylene plastic in about 5
minutes- for $20 or so from a boat store.

I'd give Devcon a call and see if they have a rubber 5 minute epoxy.

Jim