Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] alvinj@Example.com is offline

Default Drill 1/16th inch hole through 8mm stainless steel rod?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
When the bit slips down, the flutes grab...

One is to clamp the work tightly to a waste sheet of similar
material...
LLoyd

x2 the whole post.

Gunner, eatch-your heart out looking at these babies...

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/drills.jpg

Single speed 1000 and 1200 rpm hand drills that I use a light dimmer
(or ceiling fan*) speed control to set the "power" and when it goes
to dempling the bottom of the material, the speed reduces and you
left off downward pressure before the bit grabs.

I drill through all sorts of stuff using that method and it works
great.

And don't tell me you can't drill down through the middle of a pin
or something like that. You can drive a vehicle at 80mph between 2
semi's on the freeway but can't steer a drill bit?

The two rings were pulled off the M42 3/32" drill bit...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/SAK3.jpg
....check out how crooked the nickel-silver pins were too.

If this dumb retired ditch digger can do it so can you.

Alvin in AZ

*Basically the same thing except the fan speed control clicks from
off to full-blast then decreases speed as you turn it further.

The light dimmer clicks over to basically~off then increases as you
turn it up.