Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill 1/16th inch hole through 8mm stainless steel rod?

wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:
...dont let up on the pressure.
...when you back out to clear the chips...
Gunner

Hey, Gunner

My metallurgy teacher said all that too and added that it was
funny to tell a new guy running a bandsaw to "take it easy on
that stainless steel you're fixin' to cut".

Questions:
Do you really need to clear chips on a ~5/16" deep hole?
Or is it just because of the 1/16" drill bit?
Or is it just habit that you mentioned that?

Alvin in AZ

My practice is to keep drilling while the chips flow out freely, but
stop frequently to brush them off the bit if they don't, because they
can jam and break the bit.

I don't extract the bit completely so that small chips won't fall in
and land under the cutting edge.

If the chips come out in continuous strings I relax most of the feed
pressure briefly when they reach a couple of inches long, to break
them so they don't wind into a spinning, sharp-edged blob. I used to
raise the bit but found that unnecessary unless the chips aren't
feeding up the spiral.
jsw