Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramp's shop[_2_] Gramp's shop[_2_] is offline

Default Overuse of machine tools?

I have a pretty well equipped shop with lots of stuff that can take a finger faster than you can say duke of Windsor. OTOH, I have a good assortment of chisels, a nifty marples trim saw and a couple of planes that refuse to be friends with me. I've been after my local Woodcraft dealer to have a couple of classes in neanderthal woodworking. My grandfather was a finish carpenter during the depression and I have his workbox and a few of his tools -- brace, bits, handsaw and a few odds and ends. I have profound respect for all who can turn a tree into something beautiful without electricity. I'm never going to get there, but I'm hoping to take a few steps down that path.

Larry

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:26:52 PM UTC-5, Nick wrote:
Hello.

I've watched this ng for quite some while and enjoy it immensely.

Some of the US stuff is not too relevant to UK, but I get the drift.

I'm, I suppose, a recreational woodworker. Have been so for 45 years. Decent

workshop equipped with all the tools I need. I do it for pleasure, knowledge

and recreation.

Not, or very rarely, for monetary gain. In short I enjoy what I do and I

enjoy doing it. In essence my time is not money, it's enjoyment.

I was taught how to work wood using hand tools.

Reading posts on this ng, you guys have power tools for just about anything

and everything.

I'm not in the slightest envious because I enjoy what I do. And I'm getting

too damned old.

Do you ever use hand tools?

A few things I really like about this ng:

1) few bad tempered rants.

2) Rob H's 'what is it'.

3) Good and well informed folk.

4) Very useful tips and hints.

5) General bonhomie.

I'll go and look for my old tin hat and hide beneath the parapet.

Good luck to all,

Nick.