Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Drill 1/16th inch hole through 8mm stainless steel rod?

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 05:45:05 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Use
a punch and make a good dimple

Didn't he say "stainless", Gunner?

Lloyd

Yes he did. He also said 1/16" and 8mm round.

Yes..it will harden a spot. On the other hand..he will bust at least 2
drills before wobbling around and around and finally gumming a spot
almost where he wants it if he doesnt use one.

Id use a center drill to start..but...shrug...does he have one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-COMBINATIO...-/110983558772

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-HS-...-/300894603710

Id also use my 2800 lb Gorton Mastermill to drill that hole..with the
center drill first up, then the 1/16" drill. I seldom break 1/16"
drill bits. And Ive drilled D2 and Iconell with them nicely.

For those who may not know...Stainless steels tend to harden from
"somewhat" to "****ing Hard" with impact of a punch or spotter.

303 stainless being "somewhat" and 304 stainless being "****ing Hard"
as examples. Which Lloyd pointed out.

Unfortunately...we have a gentleman with minimal tools trying to drill
a difficult at best hole in an unknown type of stainless steel.

Keep in mind..that 8mm..is .321 diameter..smaller than 3/8 of an inch.
And we dont know if the OP has the hands of a skilled surgeon or not.

Gunner