Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A simple way to Tri-cut the butt of a drill bit?

On 2013-04-29, William Bagwell wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 09:55:16 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I don't recall if the shop class teachers of the '60s taught this, but I do
remember a tool salesman telling me this about 1980.
I thought he may have been making excuses for his tools, but it does reduce
drill slippage to almost nonexistent (even moreso now with lower quality
chucks being abundant).

Was taught this in the late 70's Vo Tech. However, the emphases was on three
jaw *lath* chucks, not drill chucks. Personal safety being more important than
preserving drill bit shanks.

With a tradeoff here. If you tighten on all three holes (for
chucks which *have* three holes -- some only have the single master key
hole), while you get a tighter grip, you are likely to get more runout
than if you tighten in the master key socket (usually marked with
something like a '0' stamped near it.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564