Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good bang/buck cordless drill?

On 4/28/13 7:04 PM, wrote:
I'm assuming the cheaper cordless drills at Harbor Freight are
disposable junk that will die in short order. Anyone have experience
with them?

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ills/cordless-

drilldriver-with-keyless-chuck-38-18-volt-68239.html

It's not clear to me what the difference is between the above model
and this moderately more expensive unit. Both seem to have similar
stats - 18v, 900 rpm, reversible, variable speed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...s/18-volt-3-8-

eighth-inch-cordless-drill-with-keyless-chuck-67024.html

What would you consider to be the next tier for a cordless drill?
Just light to moderate occasional home handyman use. What features do
you think make a big difference?

Thanks for all input

From Consumer Reports.
Light use drill/driver
Best Buys: Hitachi DS14DSFL, Black & Decker LDX220SBFC

Cordless impact driver
Best Buy: Hitachi WH18DSAL

General use drill/driver
Best Buys: Hitachi DS18DSAL, Ridgid R86008K, Ridgid R9600,
Craftsman 17310,

They have prices listed but I don't know how useful that would be.
Amazon and Ebay might be good sources to check.
A keyless chuck is handy. Some drills have a little level built into
them. Those might be useful sometimes.
Buy drill bits with one side beveled. That helps with the slippage
problem. I found some Dewalt bits like that at Ace Hardware.