Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Good bang/buck cordless drill?

On 4/28/2013 5:04 PM, wrote:
I'm assuming the cheaper cordless drills at Harbor Freight are disposable junk that will die in short order. Anyone have experience with them?

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...olt-68239.html

It's not clear to me what the difference is between the above model and this moderately more expensive unit. Both seem to have similar stats - 18v, 900 rpm, reversible, variable speed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...uck-67024.html

What would you consider to be the next tier for a cordless drill? Just light to moderate occasional home handyman use. What features do you think make a big difference?

Thanks for all input

I've found HF tools to be acceptable for occasional use.
Problem is that all the batteries seem to be CRAP.

Problem with occasional use of rechargeable tools is that they're always
dead when you need 'em.
NiCd's seem to short if left discharged forever.

So, you can leave 'em on the charger and guarantee the batteries die.
Or you can plan ahead to charge before needed and hope they still work.

You can expect better results from high-end tools, but it's nearly
impossible to tell without just trying it. They're optimized for
contractor use where they're in continuous use.
YMMV