Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_9_] Danny D.[_9_] is offline

Default Update on cleaning 3 more toilets of brown streaks using HCl(pool acid)

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 08:47:47 -0400 Frank wrote:

I see HCl azeotrope is 20%. This means that with more concentrated acid
there would be much more propensity to fume giving off pure HCl fumes

I had to look up "azeotrope":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope

I'm not sure I understood, but I think your point was that the fumes
of HCl are basically at the same strength as the acid itself.

I can tell you for a fact that I got a few good gulps of the stuff,
and you can feel it in your chest - as your body instinctively closes
up and doesn't let you even get a full breath - so you make little
short ones as you need air.

If someone wants to save money by buying muriatic acid, they
should cut it 50/50 with water before storage and use.

The stuff we buy in the pool stores is usually either 28% or 14%
by volume.

I wonder what percentage would be a good percentage to dilute
down to for use for toilets?

Googling, I see this special "thickened" HCl prep at 9%
http://www.betco.com/ChemicalProduct...dDispGrp=14 8

But this prep seems pretty high in percentage at 23%:
(presumably by volume):
http://www.betco.com/ChemicalProduct...dDispGrp=15 0