Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I fix this basement leak?

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 20:49:03 -0700, "Bob F"

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:53:05 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

bob haller wrote:
On Apr 27, 10:30 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
My walkout basement leaked a bunch of water from under the drywall
right next to my doorwall last week when we had a really hard rain
storm. I thought it was another crack in the poured concrete walls,
but to my surprise I found an area next to the doorwall where
framing on the sides of the doorwall extended down below grade. I
guess what ever they had covered this with (OSB or one by) has
disintegrated in the 12 years since the house was built and dirt
had filled in the area between the studs. When we had that
exceptionally hard rain the water got wicked up over the basement
floor level.

Looks like I'm going to need to cover this with something fairly
water proof. I was thinking about maybe using a piece of one by
wolmanized that I back buttered with some foundation waterproofer
tar then after I install it cover it with blue-skin and more
waterproofer. I really don't know.

Here are some pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/Vg6hsQI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5cs2glG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I5cvHIt.jpg

its really not possible to seal water out, a basement is not a
tub......

think interior french drain with sump pump. then try to seal the
hole

And replace below grade wood with concrete or something.

As designed and built, easier to just keep all wood above ground -
which is the normal way of building (with the exception of PTW
foundations - which (thankfully) never caught on.

From the pictures, it doesn't appear to me to meet that standard.

I'd say somebody backfilled and built up the back yard after the
inspection was done - someone who didn't have much of a clue what they
were doing.