Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Leon vs Sliding Table

On 4/28/2013 9:25 AM, MaxD wrote:
On 4/28/2013 4:55 AM, Leon wrote:
Mike M wrote:
I have an older Unisaw with an older Laguna large sliding table and I
believe Leon made the best choice. Though I can flip my fence to
either side, if you have a
Festool FS track saw you can't cut as accurately with out a helper on
the sliding table. If your down to the smaller pieces the incra
fences should take care of that.

Mike M

I am happy with my decision. I obviously do have the track saw and do
use
it to cut plywood into manageable panels.

A Laguna sliding TS would have been nice had it not been for all the
trade
offs. I would have given up more features that I really wanted to
have on
a daily basis for a couple of nice features that I would have used
occasionally.

I have no personal experience to validate this but it appears that the
SawStop has better dust collection than any other table saw available.
That would be a deciding factor for me.

Max

Many new saws these days do a much better job at capturing dust than
those of 10 or so years ago. It now is common to capture the dust at
the blade and channel it to a 4" hose to the exiting dust port.
Basically the saws stay a lot cleaner inside. If you use the dust
collection set up with the over arm blade guard, the SawStop probably
does offer the best collection until you make a bevel cut. I have heard
with a bevel cut the dust escapes. I probably will not use this
particular set up so the dust that naturally escapes the bottom of the
table will still end up on the top of the table.

Until the end of April SawStop is offering. at no additional charge,
either the over arm dust collection or the Pro version of the mobile
base if you buy a Pro version cabinet saw.