Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How do I fix this basement leak?

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:40:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 28, 12:08*pm, micky wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 02:20:32 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

Interesting. *When I first saw this I assumed that there was an option when
houses were built to where people could have gotten a larger doorwall, so
they just framed in the sides to accommodate a smaller doorwall. *That ledge

I've never heard "doorwall" before, but from what I can find, it seems
to mean a door that dominates a wall. *At least a sliding glass door
with 2 segments. * *Guys, does he mean "doorway" in those places where
he says doorwall.

the sill plate is sitting on is the footing the basement walls were poured
on.

So why did they use wood, and did they use it only in this one spot?

Any excavation of backyard would not be easy. *The house faces on to a pond
and the slope away from the house is kind of important.

Any excavation would only be one or two feet from the house, 3 at
most, and would be refilled after it was fixed.

I don't think it's that simple. He essentially has a situation
where the outside is graded flush to the bottom of the door.
That just isn't right. The more normal solution would be to
re-grade the outside so that the soil is below where the
wood ends. And that is what he's talking about doing.

I should have said what I had in mind, that all the wood would be
removed and replaced with cement or something permitted below grade.

I don't know if that's possible, however.

There is plenty of grade to work with from the house to
the pond. And it looks from the pic like the foundation comes up
higher out of the ground as you move away from
the door and go under the deck. If that's the case, it may
be possible to regrade the area by the door going over 5 ft
or so. That is if that is the only area where wood is below
grade.....

Yes, there's plenty of room between the house and the pond. Although
if they dig deep enough, they could all have canals right up to the
patio, and could use gondolas to visit their neighbors near the pond.
It would be very charming,