Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Update on cleaning 3 more toilets of brown streaks using HCl(pool acid)

On 4/28/2013 6:36 AM, Norminn wrote:
clipped

Anyway, hope others benefit from the experience outlined here
in pictures. If you have questions, ask away.

Did you read the label before use? Hell, anyone who wants to use m.a.
indoors should try it out on some concrete, outdoors, first.

I see HCl azeotrope is 20%. This means that with more concentrated acid
there would be much more propensity to fume giving off pure HCl fumes
which are highly irritating to skin and respiratory tract.
The HCl sold to clean toilets is about 15% and does not have this
problem. If someone wants to save money by buying muriatic acid, they
should cut it 50/50 with water before storage and use.

I once made the mistake of storing a closed bottle of muriatic acid in a
metal cabinet. Even while closed, enough fumes got out of the plastic
bottle to cause severe rusting of the cabinet.